DJRobbGordon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i-SpkGrph,BlkLt

Smile window rattle... fixed?!?!?!

so, i poseted a few days ago about a window rattle that was drving me nuts. (
HTML Code:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11556
) Well i think i fixed it and here's how.

First i did some researching on the other forums and it turns out this window rattle problem may not be the window rattling at all. Instead, it is the entire door rattleing due to dry door seals. (this problem goes back a very long time apparently. The remedy recomended is to clean the seals very well, then apply a seal lubricant such as gummi pfledge.

I couldnt find any gummi fledge at the discount auto place near my home so i instead used a good vinyl/rubber cleaner/protectant and you know what? rattles all gone. boy am i releaved. Hopefully this is the fix i have been looking for.

Here is the seal that causes all of the problems:

I would recomend also cleaning/lubricating the seal on the cabin that the pictured seal mates with.

This brings me to another point... I brought my car into BMW of Ann Arbor, i explained my problem to them in great detail. When p icked up my car not only did they tell me that they could not replicate the problem, which is , but they told me it MUST be due to the tints on my windows. If this is such a well known BMW quirk with a well know BMW fix, why the f didnt they know this... for god's sake, BMW used to (maybe still do) sell "Gummi-Pfledge" as an offical BMW part! This is the same dealership that told me the rattles coming from the package tray is due to my window tints as well, although all the regulars here know that it not true. I imagine when my engine blows @15,000 miles they will also tell me that is due to the extral load placed on the engine by the 375 grams of "aftermarket tint" on my window. Anyway, enough venting...

anyone know of a better substiture for Gummi-Phledge? it is not easy to find... as i said before i used a vinyl cleaner (Vinlex by Lexol, i think) but this is probably not the best stuff to use.
Appreciate 0