05-19-2017, 09:38 PM   #34
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL View Post
Hello all,
Cuda did a great job of summarizing my experience in his original post. But Ill add on a little more detail.

First and foremost Id like to thank Cuda for helping me as he allowed me to ping him a lot with questions and advice and clarifications. Without him and this post, I may not have done this mod. Not to mention, I purchased his core from him.... (he got his core from the salvage yard for 600 and charged me the same)

Second, Whitbread was the dealer that hooked me up with Autotech (manufacturer of Wavetrac) in CA. He made me a WONDERFUL deal on it that I couldnt pass up. Id def point you to him to get this mod started.

Now, I would HIGHLY recommend the following path: 1. Talk to Whitbread. 2. Buy a core from someone (currently, mine is available) 3. Have them ship it to Autotech directly.

You would think this would be a week turn around...but its not... It takes much longer than you would hope...so your car will be down for a while if you ship them yours. We are talking aprox 6 weeks.

When I received mine, I didnt notice that my stub axles were not fixed in place. And after dumping an entire quart of gear oil into the diff, which then flowed onto my bench and then on my shop floor, I come to find out that neither the clips nor seals were in the diff. This was an oversight on the part of Whitbread, who was not aware that Autotech did not install them during assembly. Since then, this has been rectified as he sent Autotech 4 sets for his customers.... I dont expect this to be a problem anymore, however...go ahead and check just in case by trying to pull out the stub axles by hand....if they dont move, you are good...very little force needed...they may even fall out. But just in case...heres how I installed: put a little oil around the outside of the seal....and get the shoulder of the seal into the diff.... you wont be able to get it in straight by hand... I tried to use a piece of wood and hammer...didnt work.. Eventually I used the stub axle WITHOUT the clip installed....I put the axle in the diff over the seal and tapped on the axle until you hear the familiar sound that something is seated down... then remove the stub, put the clip on the axle and tap in gentle.... no big deal... 5 min.

to be continued...
+1 for Whitbread and Wavetrac.

Also - my core is available too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0