View Single Post
      07-26-2020, 02:20 PM   #214
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

My experience, hope this helps someone with the same variation of car and wheel;

Car-2009 335i xDrive-non sport package, premium package, cold weather package.

Wheel- M Sport perforated wheel from a 2011 335i M sport. Wheel came with multifunction buttons.

Since the wheel came with multifunction buttons it had the 6 pin connector that plugs into the ring behind the airbag so didn’t need to do anything to get the paddles to connect to the ring.

The paddles tho had to have the “resistor mod” done to them in order for them to act as right side + and left side -. Now I am not an experienced in soldering whatsoever and the directions from BMS say to use a small piece of wire to “short out” the two connectors on the paddles AFTER removing the 2 resistors on each paddle. I tried it this way at first with flux and it was incredibly difficult.

So, instead of using a small piece of wire, I just used a blob of solder to connect the two connections to create the short. This was much easier to do and it has the same effect of a small piece of wire.

Lastly, in terms of the rear connector behind the ring hidden by the bottom plastics is the connection you have to make from there to the shifter assembly at the center console. My car had the 2 yellow wires in pin slots 2 and 4 so I removed those, taped up each of them.

Next I took 2 pins from another spare plug I had laying around, soldered about a foot and a half of wiring to each one and spliced each of them into the two middle wires of the blue plug at the shifter.

Everything is working well, all multifunction buttons work, I can be in just D along with DS and still use the paddles and didn’t have to buy a $100+ plug and play harness.

I was planning all along to just buy the BMS paddle retrofit harness but with it being out of stock for some time now I went this route and I’m glad I did. Hope this helps people wondering the same questions about an e90 lci non paddle car that wants to use an lci m sport +/- wheel.
Appreciate 0