View Single Post
      10-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #1559
2006330xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330Xi Black w/manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Bull!! It will cause harm in the long run. Got the noise too. So far I got my lifters replaced but it still ticks.. Taking it in again on Monday, this time they will have to replace the cylinder.
How do you know it will cause harm? I dont think there are enough cars with this issue that are over 100K to know if there are any long term problems. To date, I have not heard of or read about any cars with this issue that have had failing engines.

I have read about a few E90s with well over a 100K that have not had any engine failures or major problems due to the "ticking" noise. From my own experience and from what I have read, the ticking only lasts anywhere from a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes. This varies on the ambient temp and how long you are driving the car. If a car ticks for a couple of secs, I dont think there will be any long term damage. But the verdict is still out since there are so few cars over the 100K mile mark. For you to say, as a statement of fact, that there will be damage is disengenious since you do not have any emperical data available to prove your statement.
Appreciate 0