WatchWolf34
Because Racecar
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Doors View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchWolf34 View Post
159k miles. Full bolt on, running 19lbs on original, stock turbos.

Just finished up another weekend track event. Drove the car 2.5 hours to the track, did six 20 minute sessions on Saturday and 4 20 minute sessions on Sunday. Drove 2.5 hours back home. Not a single hiccup along the way.
Wow, I'm impressed. Any secrets or just maintenance?

I always try my best to allow the engine to idle and run for a few minutes after some spirited driving before turning off. Let the turbos cool down a bit, that's helped me keep the stock turbos longer I would say.
I'm definitely on top of any maintenance issue that show any signs and I keep up with scheduled things.

I let it cool but I also always let the RPMs drop to their idle (around 650) on startup anytime the engine isn't up to operating temps. Passengers find it annoying and friends say I'm crazy (and maybe I am). Maybe it's not helping and it's all just dumb luck but I'd rather be safe.

Also, my wastegates do rattle like crazy. Sounds like I'm dragging pop cans under the car. But I've never gotten a boost code nor hit limp mode. I keep waiting for the day to come because I'd love to upgrade the turbos to be honest - but that's the one thing I'm not going to do preemptively because I'm so curious on how long they'll make it.