View Single Post
      02-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #5
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

INJECTION TIMING

Why didn't I put Injector timing under fueling? Well, because it's a whole-notha-level of shit to understand and the variables are offset differently, too.

First - What is injector timing?
Injector timing is literally fucking that you moron (just kidding). It is the time before top dead center (BTDC) that the injector STARTS to spray. I dislike that it is start time as opposed to closed time (I have seen other ECUs go with close time) but I think that since the table is RPMvsLOAD, this proves to be somewhat advantageous, since we can assume that we will be injecting more at higher load and therefore shift the injection timing to be more advanced under higher load. Additionally, at higher RPM we may see a benefit from advancing injection timing, since everything is moving pretty damn fast and we want a good mix.

Second - Why do I care about injector timing?
Any changes made to VANOS should have a proportional amount of change made to the injector timing. My current understanding is that these are single-event injections (look into other vehicles/fuels and you will see that diesels and some GDI shifted to multiple injector events to promote better mixing and reduce injector noise, but we have other things going for us). As such, I've seen sloppy changes to VANOS without changes to Injection Timing and see high EGTs, sucky lag, or just general bullshittery.

NOW, before I show you my table, I want to reiterate a few things.
- Higher values = earlier injection start time
- Lower values = later injection time
KEEP IN MIND THAT VANOS PLAYS A HUGE FUCKING PART HERE. Seriously. As you look at my table you'll think "but holy shit you're advancing under cruise and NOT under high load" - well yeah you nosey little shit, I am, but keep in mind that VANOS is advancing my intake cam as much as 60° and this table doesn't make a ton of sense without taking that into account (which is why I provided you with the calculator in the first post. Look at it).

AS SUCH HERE WE GO
Injection Angle Start (there's like 4 tables)
COLUMNS - X/20.48
ROWS - X
VALUE - X*3/128
and voila.

Oh, and remember that cat warmup table I mentioned earlier? It looks something like this

Notice how the Injection timing is quite retarded in the warm up range. This is no coincidence - In cat warmup, there is retarded injection timing and retarded ignition timing. This causes EGT to shooooooot up and makes cool spooly swooshy neighbor-abuse noises. I am catless and I run the cold start warmup because it does allow for some of the exhaust and valvetrain to warm up quickly. If you hate the warmup, you have a couple choices.
1. Copy your regular injector timing tables over to the cat warmup table. You'll still see some retarded timing on cold start, but the raspy noise from retarded injector timing is mitigated.
2. Change Cat temp threshold to deactive cat warmup (K_KHNST_TABG_IKAT) to some number that is colder than you'll ever get. You could probably get away with setting it to -300 (its in °C) and be fine. If I want to turn mine off, I just set mine to -30 since I live in texas, as I will never see -30°C.
3. Use the MHD flash option to disable cold starts

I'll probably expand on this a little later, but also may cover some of it again in the exhaust flap, burble, overrun section, since we can do some cool stuff with it there (m2 brap thread mofos - eat a dick, dumb shits)

Last edited by anjuna; 02-13-2020 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0