chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroE92 View Post
I have a 09 335xi coupe.

Now my question is does my car have Angel Eyes? I know I have the 4 halo rings on the car but are those considered angel eyes or daytime running lights ?

I seen things online where people change their angel eyes by going behind the fender to the actual back cover of the headlight and I seen people popping a cover under the hood on top of the headlight. So I am not sure which one is right.

Also what headlight bulb size is it. According to http://www.modifiedlife.com/2009-bmw...lb-size-chart/ I see H8 and H7 as options.

Also should the bulbs look like this:

or this

Someone please give me some clarity on this because I am confused.
I'm going to chime in because I've been through different angel eye solutions.

Because you have a coupe, your car came with xenons. Therefore, your car does have angel eyes. These are the four rings in the headlights that you refer to. These are known by BMW as "corona rings", but enthusiasts refer to them as "angel eyes".

Daytime running lights (DRL) is the name for the lighting configuration a car has while on during the day. For example, the 328i sedan (without xenon headlights) uses 2 halogen bulbs as DRL. On the coupes, the angel eyes are used as DRL. Your car may have come this way from the factory. But in some cases, it might not be set this way and you will need to do it yourself.

If you have iDrive, you can check this easily by looking through the settings. However, if you don't have iDrive, you can still set your angel eyes as your daytime running lights, using the BC stalk (read the owner's manual for more information on how to do this). The easiest way to check (visually) whether your car has angel eyes set to run during the daytime (that is, as your DRL), is to set your light switch to the off position (where the dial points vertically) and look at the car while it's on. If your headlights are not lit up in anyway, you do not have the angel eyes set as DRL. If you only see the 4 rings, then you have your angel eyes set as DRL.

For the coupes, you can easily swap out your angel eyes because they are just H8 35 watt halogen bulbs. This is done simply by accessing the headlight under the hood; you do not need to remove your fender liners. Your owner's manual outlines this procedure (look under maintenance/replacing components). You can replace the factory bulb with plenty of other options, but in my opinion, these are the most popular ones:

1. A whiter H8 35 watt bulb, such as the second picture you posted. In my experience, the most popular bulb was the GP Thunder H8 35 watt bulb, in 7500k or 8500k. It usually costs $15. You can search the forum for pictures.

2. Special LED bulbs that will be whiter and brighter. A good option is LUX H8, found here. LED bulbs are more expensive, but well worth it.

3. You can go with an HID kit for your angel eyes. Search the forum for "alpine HID angel eyes" to learn more.

Note that with the way the headlight was designed, you may not be able to see the rings in daytime, under direct sunlight, depending on which solution you go with.

Here's a comparison I did of the GP Thunder bulbs vs. Lux H8. Hope this helps.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529579