06-01-2005, 11:11 PM   #6
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Thanks for the post. I can imagine there are great places for shopping, especially at the famous European places and big cities. But I'm also looking for places not often mentioned and you have to be a local or very experienced to know of these gems.

For example, if a European asked me the question I originally posted on this thread and he was coming to NYC for the first time. I could easily point him to 5th Ave and SOHO, but he would probably already be aware of those places. I think if I told him of Woodbury Common Outlets, that might be of particular value to him because it's not common knowledge for foreign shoppers (I think), and he might find great value there. I'm not saying I'm looking for outlet malls per se, just reviews of places people really enjoy or something that is not well known but definitely worth visiting if you want to go shopping.

Also, does anyone know about the foreign sales tax/value added taxes being able to be reimbursed to foreign nationals. For example, when I go to Toronto and make large purchases, I usually fill out... what is it, a duties card?... or something they give me on the airplane or a duty-free shop where I can get the sales taxes I paid on merchandise purchases refunded to me by the Canadian government because I'm a US citizen. Has anyone had experience with this in Europe - Germany, Italy, France, UK, etc.?

I was afraid that the goods I'm looking for here are just as or more expensive. I was hoping that, for example, a favorite pair of Italian shoes which cost $350 at Neiman Marcus or a boutique in the US would cost less in Europe. Wouldn't this make sense since you're closer to the country of origin? I guess I should know better... probably these brands need to maintain a certain level of global "exclusitivity" by making prices consistent everywhere. Well, if anyone knows any great places that gives great value if you're looking to pick up Hermes ties or Prada shoes and the like, please give me a shout out! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechG550
Paris (Champs Elyesses sp? and area) have all those stores. The company I work for has shopping malls worldwide but from my travels malls in Europe are much different than those here in the states. They do have them but don't expect a Galleria like mall or anything like any of the Mills owned properties. Don't forgot, like mentioned above, your losing on the dollar though the Euro has been a falling a little lately. Most purchases I make overseas are wine (it helps though to be flying on a private aircraft) and usually something unique to the area that will be a nice momento of your travels. The Forum Shops at Ceasars Palace in LV has all those shops you mentioned above.

BTW, nothing is cheaper in Europe, not even McDonald's!
Appreciate 0