08-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #108
Rossland
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: US 06 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrigavitch View Post
So basically you have to buy the car before you make your final trip down there. As you would need to have Bill of Sale to give to your insurance company.

Is there a way that you can hold off final payment until you actually get down to the American dealer and see the car? Could I somehow do the insurance once I got down there via phone fax? What about the other documents?

I have been perusing the classifieds and I didn't find one car I wanted that was closer than 2000K away. Most were even further. If I'm going to make the trip down there then it's likely I'm going to buy the car. I just don't want to finalize the deal until I can actually drive it. How can I make that work?
Talk to your insurance agent/licensing office before you go. You should not need to give a bill of sale to your agent. I expect that you can make arrangements to do everything by phone and fax from the dealers office after you buy the car. In Ontario, the agent will fax a letter saying that the car is covered for 15 days. They only need the serial number which you can phone in. I would think that Sask would be similar. Then after you get home see your agent again to arrange permanent insurance and registration.

The dealer should also fax all the documents to US customs at the border, but remember that you can't cross the border until 72 hours after the documents are faxed. The dealer should also arrange for a temp licence (a paper thing you stick on the window). These are also usually good for 15 days. This will allow you to drive home, and do the necessary emissions and safety checks, Hopefully RIV will complete the paperwork quickly (they usually do) so you will have your new plates before the temp license expires.

Good luck. You will save big bucks over buying the same car in Canada.

Last edited by Rossland; 08-29-2010 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0