View Single Post
      11-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #106
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I find it funny how people unfamiliar with the issue think it is simple to "program out" the OCI. Apparently it's not, because BMW hasn't done it. If it was easy, BMW would have had the software code ready to fix the issue. BMW USA opened a PUMA case for my car in August 2013. It's now November of 2014. No fix.

To provide an executive summary for makkan00:

At 300,000KM (186,000 miles) the CBS (ECU) is programmed to stop using the oil quality data from the oil sensor, which then makes the algorithm that calculates the OCI go defunct. The oil change after 186,000 miles will allow the OCI to be reset, but not at the maximum mileage it usually calculates (Mine usually set the OCI at around 17,500 miles). Then next change after that, the OCI resets only to 0 (zero). It was at this point my e-dipstick started behaving erratically and reporting oil level differently than it did for the first 212,000 miles. It is my contention that once the oil quality data is not used and the algorithm goes defunct, it affects the part of the software (code) that calculates the oil level. THIS IS THE POINT I’VE BEEN TRYING TO MAKE BMW UNDERSTAND.

If shorter oil changes are better for high-mileage engines (I'll not debate that) then BMW could have simply programmed the algorithm to start shortening the oil change interval for higher mileage engines to a set milage of 7,500, but that is not what BMW did.
Appreciate 0