View Single Post
      11-07-2014, 04:55 AM   #109
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

So not to drag this on, but I'll give you the recent example of why I think the e-dipstick gets inaccurate once the mileage reaches past 186,000 miles and the oil life monitor no longer works.

In late September (just two months ago) the e-dipstick was reading 3/4 quart low. When it gets to that level, I throw a quart oil bottle in the trunk in preparation of adding it when the +1QT notification comes up. On Sept. 28th when refueling at a gas station, I turned off the engine and the +1 QT notification came up (261,879 miles). I added the quart of oil after fueling up. I checked the oil level about 10 minutes later (we were on a road trip that Sunday) and it read full - all good! On Wednesday morning, Oct. 1st, after returning from the road trip Monday night, I checked the oil level on my way to work (like I do every frickin day now) and after only 655 miles since I added the quart of oil, the e-dipstick was already reporting the engine was 1/4 quart low (262,534 miles). At 263,272 miles on Oct. 6 it was now reading 1/2 quart low, just 738 miles later. So that's a 1/2 quart in just 1,393 miles. It went to 3/4 qt. low at 264,500 miles (Oct 12th).

I just changed the oil on Oct 18th. I took a reading on Wednesday this week and the e-dipstick is reporting 1/4 quart low already after about 1,600 miles (I don't have the exact mileage in front of me as I write this). So in the span of barely 7 weeks, the e-dipstick has reported oil consumption at the rate of 1 quart every 2,786 miles (the end of September -pre oil change) and a rate of oil consumption at 1 quart every 6,400 miles (after my last oil change on October 18th). So someone (at BMW) can explain it to me how this IS NOT TOTALY FUCKED UP.

Oh and with all this concentration on oil levels for the past four oil changes since I've discovered this issue, I totally have not been paying attention to my air filter change interval (about every 45,000 miles) and let my airfilter go to 72,000 miles since I changed it last in October 2012. But hey, I'll buy another BMW, sure. Buttheads...
Appreciate 0