View Single Post
      04-26-2019, 09:25 AM   #334
Fogger
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Convertible

Air Enabler

These are the settings I was referring too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah5411 View Post
Turns out the Dragonfly couldn't handle the volume output of the AirEnabler required to have the AUX input level be anywhere near the other sources (CD, SAT, FM). I could not get it to take more than 70% from the AirEnabler without obvious distortion.

So, I reinstalled the Fiio E17, which I thought initially was defective due to some crackling but realized that it, too, couldn't handle the 95% volume output level I had set in the AirEnabler (with default setting being 60%).

So...I dropped the volume of the AirEnabler down to 85% and bumped up the volume of the Fiio to 58/60...perfect! No distortion and all source levels much closer to being matched. And...the Fiio sounds MUCH better than the Sound Blaster (I originally used) and the Dragonfly...better clarity, soundstage/separation, and detail, especially once I reloaded all CD's into iTunes using Apple Lossless encoding.

But, the point of this post is: With the Fiio and the BavSound Stage One Speaker Upgrade (which is great!), I redid the Spectrum Analyzation...three times on three different days...using an external mic (iPhone as source, iPad mini with mic as monitor) and got a VERY different equalization pattern, something I would not have guessed (see below).

And every genre of music I listen to (from classical to jazz to heavy rock) sounds good and accurate, with only sub adjustments being required (using LPL44 external sub control with my PG xs2500 amp).

Also, the Fiio has BALANCE controls so I was able to adjust the balance to center without using the L7 balance, the latter tending to ruin the soundstage. The Fiio balance adjustment (+4 to Right) was perfect and the soundstage is great.

So...here are my EQ settings with this setup (AirEnabler, Fiio E17, BavSound Staqe One, stock L7 amp and rear speakers and underseat woofers), using AUX input and THEATER Surround setting, not Concert.

Attachment 1142330
Attachment 1142331
Attachment 1142332

Although the 200hz adjustment seemed weird to me at first, it now makes sense knowing we have 4" mids and 8" woofers as stock sizes in the L7 system.
Appreciate 0