05-09-2005, 08:40 AM   #9
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Passat, '09 Cayman S

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
Okay...I realized that that Zaino 10 Commandments post didn't really outline a process--just tips. Let's try this one:

Many people on this msg board seem to be afraid of using Zaino … it’s too complicated, it’s too expensive, it’s to difficult to apply/buff, it’s prone to smearing. Here is my unabashed endorsement of Zaino and the step by step procedures that I use on my Jet Black BMW Z3.

First, and most importantly, properly and thoroughly prepare your paint. Dawn wash, claybar, wash again with Z-7. then as needed use 3M SMR [Swirl Mark Remover] and 3M IHG [I think that stands for Imperial Hand Glaze], finishing with P21S GEPC [Gloss-Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser]. Wash again with Z-7. Now you’re ready for the Zaino treatment.

Put one ounce of Z-5 in a mixing bottle (comes with your ZFX) and add 4 or 5 drops of ZFX. This is enough Z-5/ZFX for two coats. Shake vigorously for 90 seconds.

Wipe down the entire care with Z-6 and a good quality microfiber towel.

Shake the Z-5/ZFX again for 30 seconds.

Lightly spray your applicator pad (I use the microfiber applicator) with Z-6. You want the pad to be damp, not wet. Put a small amount (nickel sized) of Z-5/ZFX on the pad and lightly spread onto your paint.. Check the applicator pad frequently for any contaminants it may have picked up. You’ll find that there are some areas on your car that are hard to do using the applicator pad. I use a lightly dampened cotton ball and a small amount of Z-5/ZFX on these areas. After this do the “cotton ball” areas first since the Z-5 will be a little thicker and doing it first gives it more time to haze.

Buff off the Z-5/ZFX using a clean microfiber towel, again checking frequently for contaminants. Shake out the towel frequently. If you drop the towel, then stop using it. I usually use two 15”x15” towels buffing off each coat of Z-5/ZFX .

After buffing, then wipe down the entire care with Z-6 and a clean microfiber towel.

Do another application of Z-5/ZFX, this time doing the “cotton ball” areas first. Buff it off and do another wipe down with Z-6.

Now stand back and admire your work!

After thoughts:
On horizontal surfaces (hood and rear deck, roof if you have one) always use fore and aft strokes when doing anything to your paint. On vertical surfaces (doors, etc.) use vertical strokes. My hands and arms don’t seem to want to do it this way, but after awhile it becomes easier. Do NOT use “Karate Kid” wax on. wax off circular motions.

Since one ounce of Z-2 or Z-5 will do two coats the total cost is less than many of the “premium” carnaubas, and it most certainly is longer lasting.

Smearing is caused by not allowing the Z-5/ZFX to thoroughly haze. Before buffing test it with your finger … if it smears wait a little longer before buffing.

In cold weather you can wait overnight between Z-5/ZFX application and buffing. I’ve waited as long as 36 hours and had no problems.

Unlike carnauba, Zaino can be applied in direct sunlight. The only problem that I’ve encountered doing it in the sun is that the Z-6 dries very quickly so you need to work on very small areas. If it does dry just apply a little more Z-6 and the stains will come right off with little effort.

I can see little of no difference in the appearance between Z-2 and Z-5, but I think that Z-5 does a little better job of filling swirls and spiderwebbing.

There is no way that you can avoid an occasional fine scratch. When I find one I rub it out with 3M SMR and 3M IHG, then wipe down with a damp microfiber cloth and top with a coat of Z-1 and Z-5. There is no way to mix a tiny amount of Z-5 and ZFX.

If anybody has hints, tips, or corrections to the above procedure, please post them. I’m always anxious to improve my technique.
Appreciate 0