View Single Post
      12-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #29
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
I've been talking used prices here, yes I know brand new convertibles are more.

You got me there though, every time I've searched used car prices in the past, I have always seen convertible BMW's for less than the corresponding coupes, but maybe that's because I don't specifically look at convertible prices mainly. Maybe it has to do with every time I saw a killer deal on an M3, it was a convertible lol. And also usually convertibles are optioned out more than a coupe so that likely factors in to the slightly higher pricing.

True, these are originally luxury cars, but 13+ years after the fact more people are getting into these cars(335 specifically) because of the (engine)performance they are capable of, and they handle exceptionally well also.

I live in Cali, probably make way less than you, own a home, and have no problem affording to track my 335i btw.
with m3 the story may be a little different, that is a sports car so I would agree that a m3 coupe may be price higher than a convertible.

I think there are 2 markets for the 335i or IS, one is the guys looking to mod the crap out of this car, usually the guys trying to get a sick deal thus the low prices on many used 335i models. The other market is the more " mature" market looking for a " garage queen" / "look at me type of car" , something more special without breaking the bank , this market is usually willing to pay a higher price for a used car

nothing wrong with each market. If you can get a really good deal on a 335 , you could put the rest of the money on mods and maintenance and end up with one hell of a performance car . Or if you just want something nice to drive around town , make you " look rich" and still have something to back it up a convertible may be a better option.

I would personally prefer the latter, realistically speaking the only place I would push this car somewhere close to its limits would be the track. But cost of tires, brakes , etc ,etc is just way to much on these cars , to me at least. I ve looked into it for a while and its just not worth it . It would take the enjoyment out of it . I think this is the reason you do not see many high end cars on the track. Average joe would prefer a more friendly maintenance vehicle to trash . Go to any track and you ll see japanese cars, some older e36/e46s , you may also have the rich guys with their porshe , lambo , etc etc ( thats a whole different level type of crew ) Like they said , the car you track is the car you are ok leaving in the dump after one crash

but if you can afford tracking a 335is , by all means

Last edited by rick100; 12-02-2020 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 1