R1000K3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
When you are faced to a rebuild you have 3 choices:
- You get a complete rebuilt engine which from what i have heard BMW offer for about 5000-6000 USD (could be more) plus 3000 USD to uninstall and install. You could also find one from a wracked car which might be easier in the US than EU.
- You open the engine and change the entire motorblock and pistons 3500 USD plus the usual 3000 to uninstall and install new pieces etc fix the head 1500 USD and count another 1000 USD for different parts, cleaning etc. (what i did)
- You open the engine and fix the OEM motorblock (if possible depending on the failure) get new pistons (all 6, you dont want to get only one) that has to fit after boring/honing etc (how much this cost i have no idea) , at this point you get maybe CPE pistons with lower compression (1200 USD?) since you are at it and put it back together.
In the last case you have an issue. You have NO idea how the engine will run afterwards. You risk the engine to consume oil etc. I did not want to take this risk. I wanted the car to run perfectly as before, so the third option might be a bit cheaper but with lots of unknown results. It also depends on the type of failure to do the third one.
Also how long do you want to be without a car? this has to be taken into consideration as well.
Is quite easy to say yeah do this do that but when you are actually facing such a failure i can assure you think a lot about the best solution for your needs.
There are more choices such as this which is the first alternative on any fresh racing engine. Don't change a lost of parts unless the general engine wear calls for a complete engine rebuild. Just change the faulty parts only. In a case like a cracked piston you only replace the piston. In case the bore is scored you put in a new sleeve etc. This will, apart from labor cost, be less than 10% vs. replacing the whole engine or a complete lower end. There is no reason to replace the whole engine if everything is in good order except one piston.
Appreciate 0