View Single Post
      11-04-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
cahme
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i Sport MT

Thank you very much for posting this. I replaced my VC gasket and spark plug insert gaskets a couple of weeks ago and this was very helpful. I ended up not replacing the VC itself as I was fixing an oil leak and didn't want to spend the additional $400 for preventative maintenance.

I do have some extra comments to add based on my experience:
  • I had 26 bolts instead of 24 as shown in the diagram. The additional 2 bolts are directly above #5 & #6
  • In taking the VC off, I broke a little plastic piece off the bottom of the VC and it fell down between two rocker arms. When removing the cover, it's important NOT to lift and pull forward as this is what I did to break the piece. Instead, lift and rotate the VC towards the drivers side a bit, then carefully bring it forward. This way, the plastic piece is out of the way of the valvetronic springs when the VC comes forward. I did add a pic of the inside of the cover showing the plastic piece.
  • I didn't remove the fuel rail (above the intake) when I pulled the VC, but did when I put it back on. I did this as it gave extra clearance to getting the plastic piece into the slot between the valvetronic springs. I also never removed my passenger wiper, but did remove the insert where the strut bars go through.
  • This is not that difficult a job. By far the biggest pain is getting the cover off as well as back on. It only took me about 1 hr 15 min to have everything removed and the VC free.
  • I used a 3" and 6" wobble extensions with a flex-head ratchet and did not have any problems getting to any of the VC bolts.
  • Make many rounds of tightening the bolts, barely snugging each when going around the sequence. I probably dis this in 7 or 8 steps before the first one was tight when I came back around to it.

Pics of the plastic piece I broke off as well as a pic with all off, including the spark plug inserts (and injectors).
Attached Images

Last edited by cahme; 11-04-2016 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0