View Single Post
      04-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #94
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
You're talking to the wrong guy. Both times I used additive something went wrong with the engine. BMW, Mercedes, VW, etc. recommend against aftermarket additives.

If you believe additives will help, find some real data and show it to us. In the scientific world, anecdotal information doesn't cut it.

Cheers,

PL
I'm not looking to start anything, but I can't help but notice that you're arguing that anecdotal evidence is not good enough to support the use of fuel additives but then using anecdotal evidence yourself to support the idea that it's bad for use in a BMW engine.

I am sincerely interested in your point of view that diesel additives may be harmful. What, other than BMW & MB's recommendation, do you know about that indicates these products are harmful to our cars' fuel system? I'm generally against taking people's word for it, so if BMW recommends against something, I'd like to know why they recommend against it. They may in fact be recommending against it because they can't vouch for a product that isn't theirs, whose efficacy they haven't tested, and thus can't recommend, out of an abundance of caution, their use because 1) it's a unknown to them and 2) they stand by the design and quality of their own product and it would look bad to tell their customers to use an aftermarket product to possibly improve the long-term function or reliability of it.
Appreciate 1
Torqu3320.50