01-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #64
slinkygn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Whitney View Post
Another note is -- The puller did not work for me the 2nd time I used it. It threaded in and tightened up fine, but then stripped out the contents of the seal and left a barrel of steel with no lip to grab onto. No amount of subsequent threading and pulling of the tool would grab it. If this happens it IS possible to use a screwdriver and hammer to pry up the lip of the seal steel ring and eventually pry it out with a screwdriver. It takes a lot of time, patience, and yes some damage to the outer edge of the block / plate edges. As long as you're diligent to not damage the more internal surfaces of the mating area where the seal sits, you should still get a good seal.
This exact same thing happened to me. No idea why it happened, either. The only difference I could come up with is that the seal I pulled out (which I would assume was the original seal) looked different than the seal I put in (pn 11117547842). The biggest differences in how the seals look seem to have nothing to do with that front face, though, so I don't know.

The old seal, that came out fine with the tool:

I may need to take a better photo of that, perhaps after cleaning it up a bit.

The new seal, that is now in and failed to be removed by the tool (before insertion):

And finally, just for grins, the new installed seal currently in my engine with the front face pulled off and the metal ring still there:

So it looks like I have a LONG afternoon of prying and pulling in front of me. (Unless anyone has a better idea!)
Appreciate 0