08-06-2021, 12:22 PM   #15
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojijijojo View Post
Thanks for the tips, I have actually done a similar procedure before I started pulling my hair out.

Basically I deep cleaned the expansion tank, left the upper radiator hose disconnected from the expansion tank and redirected to a waste pan, then I started the electric pump and I kept watching all the sludgy coolant come out into the waste pan while I was adding distilled water into the expansion tank.

I repeated the above until the water was coming out clean from the small upper radiator hose that connects to the expansion tank.

I was thinking that all is well, and I topped up my coolant, repeated bleeding procedure one more time and went for a drive. Next day it was all full of tick sludge again like It was never cleaned before.
Yes that is why I would do the procedure how I outlined, with a sealed system circulating the coolant in every nook within. Otherwise you risk missing areas with the procedure you did. Additionally there could be air pockets in the system when doing it that way and there is some risk you could damage the electric water pump by having it run dry. You should do the sealed bleed procedure with a cooling system detergent and distilled water 3-4 times to fully clean it out.