12-22-2011, 12:54 AM   #62
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal_Magnetic View Post
Like i said a few weeks ago, there is a huge demand for xi downpipes. The only issue i have with these is what i saw in a recent review...they taper down to 2.25" instead of 2.5" like most other pipes..i think AR tapes down to 2.5", MS 2.5" as well...even the UR pipes are 2.5" throughout. Why such bottleneck (3" to 2.25") taper with these pipes?
AR tapers down to 2.5" for sure. I was the 2nd person to have AR XI catless pipes on his car. (1st being the test dummy). The taper on the AR's anyways was done sooner than later because of the tight tolerances we have on the XI's. Nothing to do with bottlenecks. The I AR pipes go down to 2.5" also, but it is at the end and probably about an 1" or so IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
I'm not against the "green" or the clean up of high flow cats but they tend to have a low reliability/high failure rate. All this leads to an expensive product that fails. This is aleast worth noting for those ready to dive into high flow cats only to find them fail and not provide the gains of dp's, which is removing the inherent restriction, the cats.
Agreed. I don't get why people insist on wanting high flow cats in the downpipes? Is it because they don't want to deal with the CEL? Performance wise, keep the downpipes catless. If you need high flow cats put them in the mid-pipes somewhere.... Easier to replace if the cat fails. MEOW!

Good to see more competition for the XI's though. When I first bought it was either AR or UR. And UR's build quality didn't look well and IIRC JPSIMON had issues with his pipes rusting and eventually cracking