View Single Post
      12-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #21
Cyrix2k
Rep
Drives: 2017 F13 M6 6MT, 2007 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissubaru View Post
I think it's BimmerGeeks or someone on here who does remote coding. I would hit them up to see what they say about changing the VIN. I've only checked the coding on my battery and registered it to my vehicle so I'm a bit of a noob in this area. It looks doable though based on a quick Google search.

Although like another poster mentioned, you might be better off just replacing the MOSFETS as needed and sticking with MSD80
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB View Post
There has to be certain software for certain people to rewrite a vin. I would hope for security reasons it couldn't be done. That's some gone in 60 sec.shit!
The VIN is in a one time programmable area of the DME that no one has managed to blank out to my knowledge (I did a lot of research after making the initial post). Like you said, it's done for security reasons. It was possible to change the VIN on older DMEs though (I actually have a different DME installed in my e39 right now with a correct VIN and ISN).

Also, this is purely academic for me right now. My DME is currently fine, I wanted to replace it because I'm worried about the MOSFETs dying and leaving me stranded. I do have have a bag of 20 new MOSFETs ready to go though
Appreciate 0