MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
[COLOR="Red"]No, the entire wire rarely gets replaced. The entire wire only gets replaced if the insulation has been burned off. If the wiring looks normal, or is only discoloured, only the connector gets replaced.[/COLOR]
The OP, JohnGrayo, says he is in Delaware, in the US, subject to US laws related to Mandatory Recalls per requirements of the NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Administration). His vehicle is subject to that recall. The BMW Dealer and its Tech performing the recall are obligated to:
1) Repair the vehicle PURSUANT to the agreed Procedure as described in RCRIT-17V676-0612 which I attached to my prior post.
2) Certify to the NHTSA that the Procedure has been performed exactly in the manner provided in the RCRIT. "It Looked OK to ME" is NOT good enough.

You indicate you are located in Montreal (Canada I presume). I don't know if you have performed any NHTSA recalls, or read any RCRITS with Recall performance Procedures that MUST be followed exactly and certified as such, but you could at least read the RCRIT I provided before you say: [COLOR="Red"]"NO, BS, BS, BS."[/COLOR]

The FIRST provision in the Procedure, found at the top of page 6, states:
MEASURE:
The blower regulator and its corresponding wire harness must be replaced. Don't disconnect the regulator from the wire harness connector, but cut the wire harness. The disassembled parts have to be returned to WPRC.
The 5 page procedure has photos & step-by-step instructions that make it quite clear EXACTLY what is to be done in performance of the Recall Procedure. It even specifies the tools to be used, and references preliminary procedures, by BMW reference number, such as disconnecting the battery removal of glovebox, and then goes on to specify the BMW procedure for removing the Junction Box (so Tech can access a connector on the firewall side to INSTALL NEW HARNESS.

John, NOTE that the RCRIT, at TOP of pdf page 7, which is page 2 of the Repair Procedure, indicates to CUT the White/Brown wire, which is the PWM Blower Speed signal from the IHKA Module, and it is then SPLICED into the NEW Wiring Harness per the steps shown on pages 3 & 4 of the Procedure, beside the photos of the crimping tool.

If testing of the White/Brown wire per my prior post indicates NO change in PWM signal when blower speed is changed on Control Panel, it is possible that crimp is faulty (IF Recall has been performed). If recall has NOT been performed, I would have that done as soon as possible and perhaps the issue will be rectified by rewiring, OR the Dealer will at least provide a quick diagnosis.

Please let us know what you find,
George
I am in Ottawa. I am a BMW tech. I have done more than a 100 of these recalls. The recall states if it looks fine, it is fine. If the wiring is not discoloured, you only replace the connector and a short section of wiring. If the wiring is discoloured, you replace that same section of wiring and the controller. If the insulation is burnt off and the copper wiring is exposed, you do the long harness repair, which runs all the way to the JBE, and the controller. Less than 5% get the long harness.

Yes, it is possible the signal wire was not crimped properly. Could try a patch that goes around that crimp.
Appreciate 2
PhaseP1001.00
HP_e921.50