12-06-2020, 10:05 AM   #2
MrFrizzzz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
Good morning all,

Finally got all my parts in the mail Friday evening, so today I'm trying to dry fit everything to the new shocks and struts to make sure I have everything before doing this for real. This is a set of Koni "Special Active" shocks for my E92 335i. I ordered them and a "cup kit installation kit" from ECS Tuning, as I'm pretty sure at least my bump stops are completely roached and I figure best at this point to start completely fresh. If there are some parts that are reusable to go in the spares bin that's fine but I really don't expect many.

So far between realOEM and a how to video I think I have everything figured out for the rears. The lower nuts included in the install kit didn't work because the Konis have a different thread but that's OK because they included Nylocs with the struts. (now the first rear I opened I believe had the nut for the front in it, so that was not reassuring, but the other rear had two nuts in it.) Unfortunately it looks like these won't get done today because I'll need to go to Harbor Freight and get some trim tools; I didn't realize but should have expected that I'll have to pull the trunk carpet.

In the same baggie with the lower shock mount were two nylon? washers with a split in them. What are those for? It almost looks like they could sit between the shock body and the bump stop? Don't see them in any instructions or exploded diagram.

BTW is it just me or is it weird to require diagrams and parts lists to install shocks? On all the old cars I've worked on everything has been completely self evident. I guess if I had the car on a lift it would be easier, but I don't - I'll be doing this in the driveway so I'm trying to plan around limited time and daylight.

thanks!
Yeah it is pretty weird to have those washers. When I got mine the rears came with two nyloc nuts in each and the fronts came with one each. With regards to the rear shocks and washers. From what I remember one sits on top of the shock body. Then the cover and bump stop go on. Then the other washer sits on top of the bump stop. Then the rest of the mounting kit goes on top of that washer. At least that’s how I fitted mine!
Appreciate 0