07-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #74
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 328i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchuckz View Post
question about your oem aero lip. is it flushed on both sides? does the edge of the lip line up with the bumper?
As you can see in the picture, it is very close....not perfect but much closer than some I've seen on the forum, especially in those cases when a non-OEM piece is used. Mine is OEM.

I installed this myself after reading the DIYs on the forum and made use of some of their tips, the most important ones being placement of double-sided tape and putting a small amount of Windex on the tape to keep it from sticking right away. I think it would be nearly impossible to get this piece on anywhere near perfect without the latter unless you have 3-4 pairs of hands.

The trick then was to get it on and move from side to side pushing the piece into position while waiting for the Windex to evaporate and have it line up perfectly. Not having done this before, I panicked a bit when it wasn't sticking as fast as I thought it would. But then, all of the sudden, it stuck, like it was on a timer. And, you can't be everywhere at one time, so...

The driver's side (which you see above) is less flush than the passenger side, the latter being 98.9% perfect. But, the results one both sides (and the top edges where it meets the bumper) are very acceptable when you do a walk around, even if you are as anal about these things as I am.

The only way to get it more perfect would be to have help, which is a great idea.

The good news: It's holding up extremely well. The tape shows no signs of giving way. And I could not be happier with the paint job that that Evan @ Tischer BMW arranged. Perfectly matched and incredibly durable.
"O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires." (Isaiah 54:11)
Appreciate 0