View Single Post
      03-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #1850
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Krish View Post
Will be getting new VMR 710 with matte black finish coming in tomorrow, I want to keep them protected. What could I use on it? Keeping the matte finish. I was looking up Opti - Coat but stuff like that seems to change it to gloss. With my new rotors and pads the brake build up will be far less, just want to have it protected from salt and dirt etc.

or should I just wash them normally instead.
Anything you put on them will ever so slightly change the appearance. We've done quite a few sets of wheels with 22PLE wheel coating for great protection, but it did add a slight sheen to the wheels. They do still have a matte appearance and unless you have a half/half photo of them it's really not too noticeable. For the protection it provides, I think it's a good sacrifice. However, I personally like the slight sheen to it anyway, but that can be subjective of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsoboti View Post
I wash my car at the touchless car wash at least once a week, I had it clay barred and waxed about 6 months ago.

Before the summer hits (early down here in MS) I would like to have my car professionally detailed. The problem is I don't exactly know what I need. I would like the paint to be well protected and easy to maintain. What should I ask for from a detailer? How much should a good job cost?
That's a very tough question to answer. I would first try to find a quality detailer because spending money at a place where you get some shine for a few months and that's it is simply throwing money away, whether it's $100 or $250+. A quality detailer will be able to consult you on what's best and then proceed accordingly based on what the car needs as well as your budget. If you have a car that you know will get swirl marks within a few months even if you take care of it really well, then doing some 2-3+ stages of paint polishing may be pointless. At the same time, it's good to every few years thoroughly correct the paint (as much as safely possible) in order to make it look really good. A good service that improves the paint and protects it for a long time will consist of some level of polishing, then a protective coating application, such as 22PLE or GlossCoat.

Depending on the installers pricing and skill level, you may end up paying anywhere from $500-600 on the low end and upwards of $1200-1500 on the higher end for paint correction and a coating application. Thus, you need to first find a good detailer, evaluate the car and your budget, then find the best service to fit both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV335is View Post
Quick question, all I have ever done for my cars is wash them once a week and apply Nu Finish 3 or 4 times per year, what would you recommend instead?
If that works fine then it's hard for me to say otherwise. There are many new technologies in protection that have come a long way since NuFinish that you can try out, such as the mentioned coatings above or paint sealants like Blackfire Wet Diamond, that may be worth trying out. On top of that, decontaminating the car once a year and some polishing may also be a good idea if it's never been done or at least in a while.

Hope that helps,
Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0