View Single Post
      08-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #19
craniac
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2007 M6

Changing Lightbulb and Diagnosis for Non-bulb Problems

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all of the posts. I was able to troubleshoot and fix my 2007 M6 passenger headlight not working issue with all of your posts, even though this is actually my first post.

In the end, it was my Ballast/Xenon Control Module - circuit board was fried. I have attached a link to a video I created which walks through the light bulb replacement, which can be tricky first time as the bulb, igniter and ring that secures the bulb have very specific positions they need to be in when you are closing it all up. This coupled with the poor visibility from the wheel-well make the task much harder than it should be for the first time.

After figuring out the bulb was not the issue. I removed the front fender (not every hard) and removed both light assemblies. I plugged the light assembly that was not functioning (passenger) into the driver side and it did not work. The driver assembly worked in the passenger side. This meant problem was in somewhere in the light assembly. I swapped headlight control modules (outer side of light assembly), no effect. I swapped Ballast/Xenon control module (under light assembly) and this was the culprit. Thus when I swapped the Ballast from the driver side to the passenger, the light worked and vice versa. I pulled the Xenon control module off, opened it up and it was fried due to water. Ordered a new one online for $89, 2 day delivery, worked like a charm.

I've posted a video on youtube showing process. Hope this helps someone down the line. Thanks again for your great posts on this topic (and I'm sure others)!

-Craniac

Appreciate 0