View Single Post
      11-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #89
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
Apparently X5 35d has a slightly different design, according to the shop foreman at the dealership where I took my in.
yeah, in this case more is actually "better" for now, they have two EGRs, one of which taps after the DPF so is more soot-free

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
Emission standards will only get stricter as time passes. The manufacturers will have to come up with more restricting technology, which will also be more complex in nature and more prone to failures.
The more things you attach to the engine, the higher the risk for a failure.
emissions will get stricter and soloutions more complex, thats pretty likely, but modern gas engines really dont have more things attached to them than early emissions cars. In most cases they have less since they dont have an EGR, dont have a smog pump, dont have any of the strange early fixes really. They manage emissions with computer controls and catalytic converters. Im not going to count electronics, DOHC, VANOS (and similar) or other items like that as DOHC first was used in 1912 and vanos was introduced in 1992 (other variable cam timing schemes were in use in cars as early as 1980) and electronics were arguably introduced for a whole selection of reasons including but definitely not limited to emissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Unfortunately, the indication from this measurement is that the EGR is not coded out, and is still operating as it was stock. However, because the throttle valve is fully open all the time, there will still be less exhaust fumes going back into the engine due to less suction caused by having the throttle partially closed (previously the throttle would close some to help increase EGR flow when EGR % was increased).

This is a little disappointing since I was told it would be coded out. Still waiting for Stan to respond to these latest measurements of the EGR behavior.
not a good sign, hope you get that worked out. Coding EGR out/down would be the biggest reason for me to go this route, and im sure im not alone.
Appreciate 0