08-29-2018, 02:56 PM   #108
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavargas View Post
the auto industry is moving towards a subscription model just like everything else. In a few decades you won't own a new car, maybe a refurbished or reconditioned one. And yes, you will end up getting a subscription because the business model will make it look like it makes sense.
I have yet to see one auto industry subscription that I am interested in paying for, this "moving towards a subscription model" I don't think any car manufacturer has come up with anything the general public will subscribe to. I still think to make it work there has to be upgrades and/or new content, just paying for existing tech is a tough sell. They try to sell me navigation upgrades each year, Google Maps got rid of that problem, car companies shitty system was blown out of the water by the one included at no charge on my phone.

With the "in a few decades you won't own a new car", make a fully autonomous vehicle, cutting Uber prices in half (without the driver) and I think it is more likely that I won't own any daily drive car and will be completely done with dealing with car manufacturers, possibly insurance, maintenance, repair, etc. Look at the total costs of owning a car and how often it does nothing but sit in a parking spot. At the very least I think my wife and I would quickly go to a one household car for a daily driver.