View Single Post
      01-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #103
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Responding within your post below in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
Fantastic information!
16:1 is going to help keep it on the map. Do you have datalogs, without the modded JBD and H2O/Meth, just remap, you can share? Oh crap, you know what the next question is I am going to ask. Then with?

Glad you like it. I love data. I'm also digging your compressor maps. Where are you getting this info? And I'm assuming these maps are specifically related to the 335d turbos?

I've got lots of data I've posted in various places that would cover this.

I'm including some boost related data from stock, JBD and then Evolve remap that I had previously posted. These are absolute numbers and recorded from the Bav Tech tool... so they're not "actual" boost numbers, as we've verified with the analog gauge data. I believe these are actually the "set point" boost numbers. But until I get the INPA software up and running this is not verified. I did verify the IAT's are correct with Bav Tech and coming from the sensor in the charge pipe.

A while back hotrod182 showed what methanol could do. He was squirting about 120Hp (not in a manner I would want to emulate), by my calculation. Though I'm not sure he was combusting all 120Hp, as I don't think there was enough excess air with the small pressure increase he was seeing. For you, with only 1.3 pounds of excess air (16-14.7) for methanol combustion. Methanol's ~ 6:1 AFR is going to allow you about 11% more power. 400 cc/min methanol is ~ 40Hp. I think that puts you right on the money.

Hmm, I've been using this calculator (http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/glossa...calc.shtml)and I've found it to agree very well with stock settings, and then how my 1/4 mile times have progressed with various mods. My experience, and this calculator, would indicate your power levels estimates are on the low side. Also including an example impact to IAT's with and without H2O/meth injection (nozzle was ~6 inches before the IAT sensor)

Pressure ratio is defined by inlet and outlet at the turbo. For sure, when everthing is said and done, measuring at the inlets and outs is best. Maybe that is a good use for a spare differential pressure sensor. At full boogie, inlet to the LP turbo won't be at atmospheric pressure, either. Anything that happens to the air after the turbo, cooling etc., doesn't change the operating point on the compressor map. Density ratio changes that you are referring to do effect the "other compressor", the engine.

Agreed, I'm not measuring equivalent values the compressor maps are showing.

That's an excellent use for the differential pressure sensor. I used it to monitor exhaust backpressure in a similar fashion using Bav Tech. I did verify that Bav Tech was reading reasonable numbers from this sensor by applying pressure on one of the tubes while watching the reading change.

So, while you didn't answer my question directly, I think I know where you are going. Trying to get back to the boost levels you had before the latest exhaust mods. Did I get that right?

Yes. Although, based on comparing the android Torque app data, I think I was overboosting even when the SCR was in place. Maybe not quite as much as when I gutted the SCR and didn't have the EWG in place, but still well above the "set point".
Attached Images