View Single Post
      02-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #1516
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
Is it bad to powerwash the car every other day?

I do to keep the salt off but I'm wondering if I'm doing more harm than good.

Also I have marks from tree sap that got on my car in the fall. I've since cleaned the area, but it looks like those older cars that have failed clear coats. I haven't tried clay bar or wax on it to get it off yet but would these likely get the crap off?
Power washing is a tough one as there are many who swear by it and others will never do it. The risk seemingly is that you are blasting dirt particles in to and across the paint. As you stand further back and reduce the angle of impact it should be safer but you lose the advantage of the pressure. I personally prefer a traditional two bucket wash or I incorporate a foam gun/cannon. Salt by itself is not terribly dangerous but when it reacts with water in cold temperatures it seemingly does maximum damage. While moisture is in the air always some argue it's more harmful to wash the paint regularly and introduce water to the surface. Obviously many other conditions will impact the results here, but you can see the potential for harm even with the best intentions. I would recommend washing on a regular basis but probably not quite so often and make sure you get a good drying afterward. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you here but I hope this helps.

Ironically if the sap is very fresh pressure washing is a good way to remove it without scrubbing it excessively. For old build ups it's really tough to remove, but usually a combination of Stoner Tarminator, mineral spirits or an adhesive remover will help followed by a clay bar and polish. If the marks have etched the paint you'll need to polish the area to restore a more uniform appearance. Usually the Meguiar's M105 and M205 are my go to options here. If the sap has eaten all the way through the clear coat it may need to see a body shop or possibly a little wet sanding and polishing will fix it. If you're not sure try to post up some quality photos and I'll do my best to help. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0