05-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #554
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooLBoYJc View Post
Just want to verify this since I had spoken to the dealership in Temple, TX about retrofitting bluetooth and they're saying it's not an option.
All I can say is never trust dealerships: they are either full of equine excrement or are talking out of their but-tocks.

I brought my 2008 to my dealer and the first guy that jumps in says, "Yea, you already have Bluetooth because you have the phone button on your steering wheel so all you need to do is pair your phone..." So he hops in and is dumbfounded that he couldn't find any option on the radio (non-iDrive) to pair a phone.

So he gets someone else he pokes around, contemplates, then tells me, "sure, you can add Bluetooth but it's going to cost like $3,500."

After getting home frustrated, I did some research and eventually discovered that my 6FL USB/Audio Interface option actually contains a Bluetooth receiver in the MULF unit and it only required adding a mic, main Bluetooth antenna (I discovered that the backup Bluetooth antenna under the rear window shelf was already pre-installed), re-pinning three wires on the passenger side footwell, and coding (I had actually went out and got a TCU and BMW Assist FZD but later found out I really didn't need all that).

I'm not sure if the MY2011 is similarly prepped with the 6FL package, but since you have Navigation AND voice control, you already have at least the mic upon the roof switch console (there are wiring schematics that indicate up to two mics can be installed: one for phone and one for voice control, I believe. So it might still be necessary to add a mic for Bluetooth phone).