View Single Post
      07-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #243
Dsinewave
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I was preparing the car for an MHD tune by finally upgrading to fully FBO, with the parts I mentioned a few posts ago. (And I have a DV+ diverter valve too, I forgot to mention)
The downpipe had been fitted literally the day before and I was out taking it for a run to see how all the new parts were working, and to let the ECU adapt.

The car had never felt better, or pulled harder. It was just about perfect.

Then in about 10 seconds the oil temp went from 120 to 170 degrees (Celsius as I’m in Australia), I immediately backed off to 80kmh to let it cool down. 5 seconds later I heard a knocking noise for a couple of seconds, the DCT went into neutral by itself and the engine shut off.
It could not be restarted.
I had no indication whatsoever of its imminent demise. No temp warning on the dash, no gear symbol indicating an issue with the gearbox or anything at all.
It had never run rough or had any issues at all.

I had installed a complete cooling system refresh a month before as I had a small leak from water pump and radiator. Replaced with OEM pump, all new hoses and a CSF radiator.

I love this car as it is spectacular in what I require it to do. It’s my daily, I take it for long trips interstate, and enjoy it every day. It has never been anything less than fantastic since I bought it.

Although now I certainly am hesitant to go to Pure stage 2 as I was intending.

I will have to build an engine with a closed deck and forged internals.

Last edited by Dsinewave; 07-19-2018 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: Mistakenly said US engine builders required my engine to be sent to the US
Appreciate 1