View Single Post
      07-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarino View Post
Car was idling perfectly before I put new coils, plugs, etc. Using that old saying...'the cause of every problem is a change'.., I'm leaning towards just buying one new coil and plug and replacing cylinder 6.
Your cylinder #6 MAY actually be developing MORE power than the other 5, or at least as compared to cylinders BEFORE and AFTER in the firing order: 1 - 5 - 3 - 6 - 2 - 4.

Question is: What does higher positive value for cylinder #6 as compared to others mean? Does that mean MORE power developed by that cylinder as compared to those before & after in firing order (cyl 3 & 2) or less?

I haven't been able to find anything reliable as an explanation of Laufunruhe/ Rough Running. Closest thing I can find is Bentley's explanation of "misfire" as a condition where the crankshaft speed slows slightly as measured by the Crankshaft Sensor on the power stroke of a certain cylinder. The following is found at page OBD-4:
Misfire detection. This strategy monitors crankshaft speed
fluctuations and determines if an engine misfire occurs by
monitoring variations in speed between each crankshaft sensor
trigger point. This strategy is so finely tuned that it can determine the
severity of the misfire.
It would seem to make sense to me that the higher a Positive "Laufunruhe" number for a particular cylinder, the more power developed, while the more Negative the number, the less power. THAT is ONLY a SWAG on my part. It IS supported by the fact that when I replaced ONE coil with an identical new coil the Laufunruhe for that cylinder was several hundredths Higher than the others for several weeks after which things got more equal. NO perceptible roughness (or misfire code) at any time.

Any theories or actual knowledge on what the readings mean?

George
Appreciate 0