Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335I X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by katatonia View Post
Noob question but what do you typically do if your engine completely shits the bed? Do you have to source a used n55 yourself or do indie shops know how to do this? What does it cost to do a full engine replacement aside from the cost of the engine?
It depends on what went wrong within the motor. When my rod bearings went out, I drove with the knock as the car drove fine and the knock was very hard to hear. Lesson learned, as this meant I warped my crank journal and therefore lost my opportunity to swap in new bearings/rebuild the motor in a cost effective way. My used motor options ranged from 50-85k miles and were between $5,000 and $6,500 a pop. These motors came with anything from no warranty at all, to a parts only warranty, to a parts and labor warranty for up to 90 days. The descriptions on the motors also didn't specifically say what they included with them. On top of all of this they were all 2011 model year motors, so there was the oddball chance that I could spin another bearing.

With all of this in mind, I went with a brand new N55 from BMW. It came with everything except the turbo, HPFP, and a few other accessories. I was able to get it at cost for around 11k with a 2 year unlimited mileage BMW factory warranty. I figured considering I was going to hold on to the car, this was the best route to go down.
You dropped 11k for a N55 engine and a HPFP?

Sorry but with the depreciation of these cars I would not spend more than 5-6k max on an N55 engine. If my engine went bad I would just buy another 335i