View Single Post
      09-14-2020, 03:10 AM   #5
HydroxFrost
@Lucky.330i
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Garage List
I've got 185k miles on my car now, and honestly when functioning correctly it barely burns a drop on Pennzoil 5W40 Euro Platinum. Other than this and when I had another leak I've never had to top up my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I have a 2006 325i with almost 250K miles on it, and it is consuming nearly a quart every 1000 miles. I replaced my oil separator (external for the 06 models) along with all CCV hoses. My oil separator was clogged badly so I was certain that was the source of the consumption, however nearly a year and 10,000 miles later my oil consumption is exactly the same as it was before replacing it. I have no smoke whatsoever and even on aggressive acceleration there's no oil smell so I'm assuming it's worn low tension oil control rings causing a slight but consistent oil burn.

How many miles/kms on your car? If you're overdue for a CCV overhaul then by all means do it, but just keep in mind it may still not fix the problem. Then again a quart of oil per 700 miles is considered "acceptable" by BMW. I stopped worrying and just keep topping off when needed, though after two years of Castrol and Pennzoil, I recently tried Motul, so looking forward to seeing if that makes any difference. Some people say Motul or LiquiMoly resulted in significantly decreased consumption.
Appreciate 0