View Single Post
      03-25-2024, 11:34 AM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyofatboy View Post
... this abused 3 series doesn't fire. I've got fuel pressure and good compression, but not getting any spark.
Connected directly to coil wiring with noid light to test, nothing on all 6.
ISTA+ diags give many codes, all for no comms with X component:
S0074 - no comms w/ CAS
S0085 - no comms w/ DSC
S0114 - no comms w/ control unit possible
S0119 - no comms w/ Ins Panel
S0129 - no comms w/ Engine Electronics
S0180 - no comms w/ Safety Restraint Sys
S0212 - no comms w/ Junction Box Electronics
S0364 - no comms w/ Trans Control
S0758 - Permanent SAE fault code

... Fuse F38 (Crankcase Breather Heating/ECM/O2 Sensor) kept blowing until I unplugged the upstream o2 sensors,
shorted somewhere. The rear valve cover ground was badly rusted so i connected it to a different grounding location.
Verified Ground next to the DME [X6454, Nut on Strut Tower?] enclosure is tight and clean. Checked all other
ECM/DME related fuses, none other were blown. Battery Control Module [you mean "Rear Power Distribution Panel" on
TOP of battery?]
has seen better days, but I get over 12v to the front of engine. [at Jumpstart Terminals?]

I've got a good multimeter, a test light, and a working ISTA+ install w/ Enet Cable...
See attached pdf's for ways to use ISTA+ & a few issues with Setup.
There are MANY different versions of ISTA+ "out there". The version I use requires installation of working version of
"BMW Standard Tools" (INPA) BEFORE ISTA install, and TOTAL Hard-drive space of both installations is ~ 25 GB. I use
K+DCAN cable. There MAY be "Settings" to change to use ENET Cable.

It is possible to have a Functioning ISTA+ Installation for use as "Shop Manual", to see Documents while NOT connected
to vehicle. However if "VCI Config" settings in ISTA are NOT correct, that MAY prevent connecting with vehicle. If a simple
OBD II P-Code Reader can't show DME Live Data, then there is an issue with DME "communication" with JBE Hub/Gateway.

That issue could be due to:
a) Lack of Power Supply or Ground (X6454);
b) Lack of Bus (PT-CAN Bus for DME) communication;
c) Internal DME Fault.

You WILL need a functioning ISTA installation (or at least functioning INPA installation if you have BMW Standard Tools).
So I would FIRST get either INPA/ISTA working.
If ISTA:
1) Post ScreenPrints of: a) Control Unit Tree; b) Fault Memory

If INPA, Post ScreenPrints of:
1) INPA > Functional Jobs > F2 Identification, showing List of ALL Modules communicating with JBE;

2) INPA > Functional Jobs > F4 > F1 Fault Memory, ALL Modules

See this link for pdf's related to INPA:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/t...#post-13810062

See attached ISTA ScreenPrints for examples of ISTA wiring diagrams. There are TWO fuses powering DME: F4 & F37.
F4 is permanent Power (KL30) and F37 is switched by DME Main Relay (KL87). Also check Ground connections at X6454.
F38 circuit is also attached, showing supply to O2 Sensor Heaters, & Crankcase Breather Heater (located under
Intake Manifold), as to which there was a Recall in 2017. If that heater shorts out, it blows F38 -- NO O2 Sensor Heating.

Please let us know what you find/ Questions.
George
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Fault Memory & Test Plan.pdf (1.72 MB, 14 views)
File Type: pdf ISTA as Shop Manual.pdf (2.13 MB, 13 views)
Appreciate 0