03-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #18
ducatiti
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorin View Post
Thanks for sharing!

I'm in the same boat- need new shocks, with a dd/family hauler that can be sporty when the kidlets are dropped off.

Did you replace/upgrade any other hardware or just the shocks/struts?
I would say if you have other vehicles, go for it considering it may not be that comfortable with passengers.

In regards to the hardware, I replaced the following:

Front:

Upper Strut Mount Assembly with bearing
Upper rubber Spring Seat (although the stock rubbers were fine upon inspection, no noticeable wear)
Lower rubber Spring Seat (although the stock rubbers were fine upon inspection, no noticeable wear)
Sway Bar Links (went with the "beefier" Meyle)

Another tip is that a regular socket won't fit on the strut mount. You will need is a thin walled socket or even better, the Schwaben socket available from ECS of which has a provision to insert an allen key to tighten/loosen. A strut spindle spreader works like wonder as well. No hassle at all with this tool, twisted and pulled right off without any need of lubricant. It spreads the spindle without any guesswork needed of what tool to insert.

Note: B8 struts have internal bumpers.

Rear:

Upper/Upper Shock Mount (my stock mount was still OK, no noticeable wear; still clean)
Upper/Lower Shock Mount (my stock mount was still OK, no noticeable wear; still clean)
Shock Lower Mount (black rubber where the bottom of shock mounts, one had a tear on hole but no effect or noise prevalent)

Total for above was around $80 from FCP Euro, lifetime replacement warranty.

Note: B8 shocks have included bumpers and miscellaneous hardware. If I would do this again, I would replace the upper and lower rubber spring seats. I notice I had one tear/hole where the upper spring ends.

Last edited by ducatiti; 03-21-2019 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 3
Thorin117.50
Efthreeoh17318.00
Phyrexia502.50