12-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #29
oldnail
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
All modern cars have problems.
Try and Audi if you want loads of grief!!

Anyway, If you had got the car in the spring and been driving it over the summer I bet you would have seen a much better mpg.

My A6 3.2fsi petrol has gone from a 27mpg average down to 23mpg at the moment, the cold weather is killing the average on sub 10 mile journeys.
My 123d has gone from 48mpg to 39mpg, cold weather hurts diesels even more.

How many miles did your 320i have and how many has the 318i got??
The gearing is different on the 318i isn't it?? i'm sure the final drive ratio is bigger on the 320i, meaning sat at 75mph the 320i is more efficient by around 10%, however at 56mph they are about even, and this is the speed they sit out to work out MPG.

Try resetting the OBC one morning when the car is up to temp and you are cruising on the motorway and see what you get by the time you arrive at work, this will give you an idea of summer figures.
I bought the 320i with 2,500 miles on it and sold it with 29,000 miles on it, the 318i currently has 5,500 miles on it.

I haven't checked the gearing but I do wish that my daily commute would include the possibility of a 75mph test . It's certainly something I'll check out and I will give your OBC test a go too. Thanks!

Just as a contrast, the other car that I have access to is a Mk6 Golf 2.0 TDI (110), it was bought 1 month after the BMW. I filled the BMW and VW up today and calculated the mpg.

VW - 46 litres to fill up - 553 miles on the trip computer = approx 54 mpg
BMW - 47 litres to fill up - 318 miles on the trip computer = approx 31 mpg

They both do similar journeys, although the VW does one longer run at the weekend (purely because it is so much more economical).

With the exception of handling (where the BMW is superior) there's not much to choose between them (VW has been trouble free, and, as you would expect from a diesel, superior low down performance), but the potential of a 20+ mpg improvement is getting more difficult to ignore in the current financial climate!
Appreciate 0