10-19-2011, 04:04 AM   #220
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
I told you from the very first post of this thread that the N54 pistons are cast. Yet everyone was so blinded by the forged piston possibility that they chose not to believe Mahle (the manufacturer) itself and they chose to hang on by the fact that there are 2 part numbers for the N54 pistons, which means nothing.

All in all, I am glad that the crank and the connecting rods are forged, it's very important to have forged rods in high torque applications. If there is no detonation due to bad tunes, the pistons should be ok and the rods should be the ones that take up all the abuse. This explains why there are N54s with close to 500whp and still going strong.
well i have NO CLUE myself how to tell the difference from a cast/forged piston. My shop was definetely wrong than which made me do the WRONG decision when rebuilding the engine....
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0