Australia
Rep
Drives: Prado 150, CT200h

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
Hi,

Question is do I go for runflats or normal rubber?

What brands are people using?

Comments from people that have perhaps changed the original rubber on their standard rims for non-runflats.... what differences did you get?

Car came with Double Spoke 161's and these only have 3500km on them, any ideas as to potential resale value (need to make the Mrs happy about the $$ I am spending)?

Thanks,

Stuart
Nice wheels. There are a lot of pro and cons about RunFlats. So you need to weight according to your situation.
Runflats are safer (bmw called safety tyres) as you do not have to worry about flat tyre for 250kms on max 80kph. But they are noisy and bumpy on rides. Imagine you are at somewhere between Alice Spring and Darwin (which probably you wont).

Non runflats are more comfortable and some argue it handles better. But you need to worry about flat tyres. As bmw do not provide space for spare tyre, if you carry one it would take up a large amount of your boot space.
Other option include puncture repair kit as explained above, but you need to bring a pump, and tools to take out the punctured wheel.

Other option: emergency sealant, you can just pump it direct from the canister into the tyre valve, it will self seal the leak. But you can only drive upto 50Kph. With limited distance.

I use Pirelli Pzero Rosso non runflats on mine. The ride is so much quieter and comfortable. Bridgestone RE050 also comes as non runflats, there are a lot of good review on the non runflats.

Regarding the 161, Typical 17inch with new/near new tyres sells between $1500 - $2000 on ebay. You dont get a lot value if you sell them at those price. Why dont you keep them, when you sell your car put the 161 back in.
320d (E90) Sparkling Graphite, Bi-Xenon, Rear PDC, 17 Alloy 158(athome) 157 (On the car), Climate comfort Wscreen, Sport Steer, Electric Rear Blind, Mirror Package, Lemon interior with poplar trim, Comfort access, Partial Electric Seats, Through Loading and Adjustable Arm Rest
Appreciate 0