View Single Post
      03-12-2019, 07:28 AM   #22
klargo
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i

My used 2013 X5 has 58k so I wasnt concerned about drive belts quite yet. I was returning home from a long trip when I threw belt. Not knowing off this issue I took my chance and drove it home. When I went to replace belt I found it shredded and pieces stuck behind harmonic b that I couldnt easily get out. After remving HB I had pieces of belt wrapped around crank and sticking out of oil seal. The seal is completly gone and even have a few small gouges in metal. I'm older and not looking FWD to the DIY work involved so I called dealer service dept who are familair with this issue. They quoted a price of (approx) $3500 to complete inspection and work needed. I told them I was considering doing myself and was told I would not be able to complete all neccesary steps such as flushing system and risking further issues. I just wanted opinions as to what others think about this. I will do the work myself to save 2-3k but wanted to make sure procedure on this site is thorough enough. The suspected cause of belt failing is oil cooler housing leaking oil on belt. Also thanks so much to those sharing info I just wish I would have found it earlier!
Appreciate 0