View Single Post
      04-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
jackpollard
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i x-drive 6speed

1st time detailing, should I or should I not?

A few months back I picked up a beautiful, low miles 335i x-drive in Monaco Blue. It was a dream car for me; 6-speed manual, m package and a great price. It had 1 owner who kept the interior in excellent shape, but the exterior needs some work for sure. I will post some pics to show it better.
I'm pretty handy, always do my own semi-major auto work. I also have a 2005 325xi with 170K on it and have done all the work from oil changes to brakes.
The paint has lot of swirls, little chips, but no real deep gashes. I'm hoping to get 75% or better in looks.
I've never done a paint restoration/detail, but I think this may be my time.
I've read everything I can find, I've watched countless videos and have everything I need.
My plan is; do a full 2 bucket wash, spray it down with Carpro X Iron remover, clay it (plenty of lube) and then I'm ready for the main attraction. Use my PC7424 with 5.5" Orange hex pad and Wolfgang total swirl remover. Then white and Wolfgang finishing glaze, then black or blue pad and Wolfgang deep gloss sealant. I know there are plenty of different products, but I figured it took a bit of guesswork out of 1 part of the process by using the same product line.
So, my main reason for writing this thread is; it seems using the PC I really can't do harm to my current paint job. I would of course keep it moving and make sure to follow the back forth and up down pattern in the small area I taped off. Am I asking for trouble? Should I practice on my other car or is it just a matter of paying attention to what your doing?
Thanks in advance and thanks for the countless threads I've read here helping me make my decision.
Appreciate 0