View Single Post
      01-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

I've mentioned before that my 3 prior diesels, all direct injection with EGR etc., had no CBU associated problems (156K, 240K, and 95K miles so far) and currently the 335d is running well w/58,000 miles.

I don't use aftermarket additive, use only "top tier" fuel stations (not even the ones that say "this is not a _____ product" on the diesel pump -why would they say that if "all diesel is the same"?) I drive the same, after thinking about it, by hard downshifting on occasion which I believe "pushes" the crud out - would cause a plume of black smoke were it not for the DPF.

I find it interesting that no other variables are mentioned in most of the posts about CBU. No mention of brand of fuel, additive or not, how they drive, where they drive etc.

What we need is for someone to catalogue all of the CBU cars to get a good number. Chances are we have a percentage of all CBU on these boards. We know that BMW sold a total of about 10,000 335d's, even published the data. My guess is that many of the fans both are more likely to post about CBU and to use aftermarket additives. My other guess is that most use the cheapest diesel they can find, almost always not top-tier.

PL
Appreciate 0