atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaster View Post
I don’t think the Super Charger can rev high enough to keep up with the N54...
What do you mean?

Regarding the manifold options.. I have no idea how the runner lengths / "frequencies" etc. affect power when dealing with FI. Since you will be forcing air into the manifold rather than relying on natural phenomena, I am leaning toward thinking that whatever research has been done here re. 3 stage mani vs. N54 mani in N/A applications is almost worthless. But again, I don't know a whole lot about that. Hmm now thinking about it, I guess the S/C doesn't add as much boost at low RPMS as a turbo does, therefore having the 3 stage mani might still be beneficial with a S/C for that low-end tq. And perhaps the added boost at high-rpms from the S/C could overcome the 3 stage mani's deficit there? I feel that testing would need to be done to decide which is really best overall.

Regarding the evap and PCV lines, if I were you I would do some research and learn about our PCV system, etc. It's likely that a whole new solution regarding those lines.. perhaps tying them into a catch can system, etc.. will be your best solution. PCV, etc. all changes a lot when going to a boost setup I believe.

It's been a minute since I've owned and tinkered with a boosted car, but I remember doing a whole lot regarding catch cans and PCV system re-arranging on my last one. Sorry that I don't have a whole lot of time at the moment to wrack my brain and try to remember it all. But I will at least for now say that, worst case, you'd probably be OK simply venting PCV and Evap to the air (or through a little filter on the end of a hose). That said, IIRC, it's best to have the PCV system connected to the intake before the "charger" (not the intake mani) because ideally you want big vacuum in that system. The whole point of it is to keep negative pressure in the motor. If the PCV was attached to the intake mani it would be positively charged and do the opposite. It's something about having the pressure "pull" on the bottom rings to keep them sealed under boost.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking a catch-can setup in which PCV goes to the can (in) and then the can (out) goes to the air intake near the filter. You could just go straight from PCV to the air intake near the filter but that can result in oil, sludge, etc getting into the supercharger (or turbo). It's not as big of a deal if this happens with N/A because the motor can burn that ish up. But obviously the supercharger won't like it. Again, it's been a minute so I suggest verifying all of this. Trying to help tho... Perhaps this is addressed in the S/C install instructions? I apologize in advance if I'm throwing you off here though lol. Anyway, regardless of which mani you choose, I definitely recommend looking in to the PCV system, catch cans, etc. N54/N55 guys can maybe help there.

Last edited by atmosphericM; 05-18-2018 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00