03-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomz_M3 View Post
Umnitza is the sole US supplier. They sell wholesale to vendors who then sell to the public. What makes you think that Umnitza would sell them at the factory price? There is a markup to Umnitza, which then marks up to OSS.

All the vendors that sell these go through Umnitza. Why dont you create your own LED's if they are so easy and cheap to make? Lol
I'm not saying Umnitza would sell at factory price, I gave a ballpark of $100 which would allow them to still have a healthy amount of profit. The lower factory price would be if OSS skips Umnitza and purchases right from Umnitza's supplier/manufacturer in China.

Also, I'm more than willing to bet that Umnitza is not the manufacturer of these rings. At most, they drafted a design (it's plastic and some LEDs wired to a driver) and gave them to a factory in China. Though it's entirely likely that they just rebrand an existing product in China and occasionally submit input to the manufacturer since they're a bulk purchaser.

As for making my own and selling them, I simply don't have the time or capital to do so. I could certainly make a set for myself, however. And there are people on the boards here who have already done just that. blueaudi and fdriller to name a few. Ask them - it's not terribly complex and doesn't take a genius to do, it's just a pain to solder by hand as opposed to having them mass produced.