View Single Post
      01-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #540
gdotp
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D Sport E93

I have e93 on an 08 plate. Followed this thread since I got the car but was hoping that I would not need to. Well just before Xmas left rear went down and after checking it I found a crack in the rim. The cars done 47k. Got in touch with the dealer and they confirmed the crack and said they would have to check the wheel alignment to see if they could replace it. In the mean time I forked out £550 to have a new rim and two new tyres put on that I'd already got new (spares having had to wait two weeks last time I replaced the rears). Anyhow today the dealer said the wheel failed the test and was 2.5mm out while the limit is 2mm +/- .3mm, I.e mine was .2mm too bent......I pointed out the wheel was perfect no scrapes at all and showed no visible signs of damage. Still they held out saying they could not refund.

I then got in touch with the BWM helpline (number on BBC watchdog site) who after a few hours came back and said that they would agree to refund the wheel fully as a goodwill gesture which was nice.

Now although I have a result I'm not totally pleased.
1. Why should have to argue about a product that is not fit for purpose
2. what happens when the other rear goes....as it will
3. When it does where will I be stranded next time and what happens when it ruins the tyre

Another interesting snippet or two.
1. The service mgr admitted he'd seen far far too many of these
2. He admitted it had beed redesigned
3. He also said that for cars over 5 years old only BMW could make goodwill gestures while with younger cars it was within his gift

Finally I sent a complaint back through to the BBC as I don't think that BMW are living up to their commitments to replace wheels independent of the runout test if they are clearly I un-damaged.
Appreciate 0