09-11-2006, 09:48 PM   #72
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335Xi ZSP, ZCW, PDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xq_zhu
Finally done the mod this weekend! I had to open the mirror case 3 times and the overhead panel at least 5 times to try different things, not to mention that I fried the IC chip once!

Here are some tips and lessons learned:

1 - definitely test the circuit before even thinking of opening the car. I used a jumpstart system that comes with 12V output.

2 - Do not tap into the existing plug that goes into the mirror. One of the wires has constant 12V when I connect that into the circuit, it fried my timer chip!

In my case, I did what msinfo_us did which was running two wires directly to the back of the LED socket casing. I found it easier taking off the mirror and connect these two wires first, then run them back to the circuit board and butt connect (22~26 gauge telephone wire butt connector) them to the output wires from leg 3 and 4. I also disconnected the original LED plug just to be safe.

3 - Although I did not compare with another bmw side-by-side but the output seems dim to me. You may want to try the alternate circuit to start with.

Good luck and thanks for the great DIY.

NOTE:

I do not have compass or homelink so your connection may be different.
First of all -- CONGRATULATION! Brightness: I configured timing for my circuit on a nearly pitch black parking lot next to another BMW with factory alarm. It looked absolutely identical to me. Nevertheless I do believe brighter output can be obtained if desired. Warning: The alternative method mentioned in the beginning of this DIY is somewhat theoretical at this point. I had it when I was "playing" with the timer before I finalized the design. It should work but I did not test it in a car only with 9V battery and it produced brighter output. Now looking at diagram and timer specs I believe there is a better way to get any brightness level desired. I think if we put a regulated/variable V to pin 4 (reset) (can be accomplished with just one POT resistor we can control a threshold when the timer is On and Off that will give us a full range to control brightness by changing V to the timer. Anyway, if I have time this weekend I'll test it out and let you know. Once again - Congratulations!
Appreciate 0