2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-e92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-e92 View Post
I've had the infamous wastegate rattle for a couple months now but no 30FF and im looking to fix the stock turbos on my FBO 335is with 62k on the clock. Does the rattle mean the full turbo system is shot? I dont drive the car very hard and if i could get away with pulling the turbos and replacing the wastegates with a fix kit that would be ideal. Thanks!
Wastegate rattle usually won't trigger a 30ff code.

You need to turn the wastegate actuator bolt 2.5 turns, on the rear turbo.

In the front, you need to take two no. 8 SS washers and glue them together (do this twice) and then put them in-between the turbo & actuator housing. This will require you to fish them on the bolt with a magnetic pick up tool.

You should cut a side off the glued washers & effectively make a horseshoe out of them. This will make it considerably easier to fish them onto the a actuator bolts in-between the housing & turbo.

If this doesn't cure your wastegate problem, I'd say you either should replace the wastegate actuators or get new turbos all together. With only 69k on those turbos, I'd probably lean on just replacing the actuators with some upgraded SS ones.
Awesome, I'm just worried about shaft play inside of the turbo. I have a wastegate fix kit from VTT so would i need to buy a couple new wastegate assemblies? I really dont want to replace these turbos since they should be the newer style and because of the mileage on the car. Also ive tried loosening the bolt and adjusting the rod but it didnt quiet down the rattle very much.
I doubt they are the updated Mitsubishi turbos unless the previous owner replaced them in the last 3 years or so.

You have 2 turbos, so you might be hearing the rattle from the front turbo.
Appreciate 0