View Single Post
      01-09-2016, 11:58 PM   #1
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

N52 engine build :)

Been looking forward to this for a long time! Finally picked up an N52 to build. This is going into an E30, not an E90, but you guys might appreciate it.

for $800 I got basically a running core motor. it's actually pretty clean inside - I was expecting the worst, it has 258,000 miles, but things like the intake ports are flawless, and even inside the head only has minor carbon buildup.

It definitely has a valve cover leak, OFHG leak, and oil pan leak. The engine is really clean on the passenger side, but the front and drivers side are covered in oil, likely from the OFHG.

I think the rear main seal is still good, it's just the oil pan leak that's been spread around everywhere!

sitting on a HF dolly.. E30 in the background. First job was to get it onto a stand, which was tough - I have access to an engine hoist, but at this point I don't want it taking up space in my garage, so I made it work with pulleys and a couple friends.

On the stand.. and that's about it for now. I have to leave on a work trip all week next week so I can't really tear into it. But I have plans, and a parts list.

There's actually some more parts I got that aren't pictured, including the engine harness. I'm not using any of the stock N52 intake so I didn't care about that, and of course I'm not using stock N52 exhaust manifolds.
Appreciate 12