View Single Post
      06-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #102
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrid3r View Post
Hey guys I have been reading the thread and I have this issue on my 08 e92 335i. I think the problem is tire and PS unit related. As if the power steering is not strong enough to turn the wheel at low idle. I had the problem with the factory tire and wheel package. I got upgrades to wider wheels and the problem was gone. The tires were fresh and a bit softer, now my tires are a worn down and the problem returns. A good way to test this is to change to surface friction. make the issue happen on a certain surface and soon after wet the ground and see if it happens again, in my case it didn't because it was easier for the PS to turn the wheel. There is nothing wrong with PS unit its just not stronger enough. that's way it happen in slow speed cause it harder to turn the wheel at a stand still than it is in motion. Still bugs me to have it happen all the time.
^^I agree. I did some similar testing and had the same outcome. My new PS2's all but eliminated the sound (for now). FWIW, the 135 M Sport loaner I am currently driving does it too: The Dunlop RFT's are 1/2 to 2/3's worn. I get the same groaning sound from it at low rpm hard turns, like in a parking lot.
Appreciate 0